Manhatta is seeking a Sommelier to join their wine team.
The Sommelier will work closely with the Wine Director, Assistant Wine Director and Front of the House team in providing superior wine service to all guests. USHG has earned an unprecedented twenty-eight James Beard Awards, including four awards for Outstanding Wine Program.
Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) was founded by Danny Meyer in 1985 and includes some of New York City's most beloved restaurants including Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard, The Modern, Cafe 2 and Terrace 5, located at the Museum of Modern Art, Union Square Events, Maialino, North End Grill, Marta as well as Porchlight and Untitled at The Whitney Museum of American Art.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Money to spend in our restaurants and a 20% discount (and we’ve won 28 James Beard awards)
- Discounts toward gym memberships, spas, transit passes and hotels – just to name a few…
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future- and you can take it with you when you leave
- Access to more than 50 Learning and Development programs to support your growth & development
- Access to Mentor Programs and Career Development advice to help you navigate your career options with us
What You Bring to the Table:
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than in expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Pre- and post-shift side work, wine cellar maintenance and monthly inventory, participating in all steps of service as needed in the dining room during the shift, and assisting the wine director and assistant wine director in all aspects of the wine program.
- Preferably 2-3 years previous experience at a restaurant with similar service, guest relations and operational standards.
- Excellent knowledge of wines and wine service.
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of dining room service.
- General knowledge of food preparation methods and culinary terminology.
- Ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to assist with organizing the wine cellar, counting monthly inventory and staff wine training.
- Basic understanding of the operating systems used on a PC type computer.