Union Square Hospitality Group is seeking a Hospitality Apprentice for our restaurants at The Whitney Museum: Untitled and Studio Cafe!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
The goal of the Whit Food Apprenticeship Program is to place recent graduates or current students of Hospitality programs into various Front and Back of House roles within Whit Food, which encompasses Untitled and Studio Café. Over the course of 6 months, Apprentices will be exposed to multiple aspects of the business and Union Square Hospitality Group, giving them the tools to solidify their foundation in hospitality and grow within USHG.
Apprentices will spend time in a wide-variety of operational roles within both Untitled and Studio Café including but not limited to: Server Assistant, Kitchen Server, Barista, Barback, Host, Server, Prep Cook, Pastry Cook, and Stewarding.
In addition to valuable exposure and training in each of these roles, apprentices will be able to take advantage of some additional perks and resources:
- Coffee training at our local coffee roasters
- Trips to the Greenmarket with our Purchasing Manager to learn about how we source ingredients
- On-site wine service trainings and tastings
- Complimentary access to The Whitney Museum in addition to several other art museums throughout NYC
- Observational trails at various other businesses within USHG
- Resume and career consultation at the end of the program
- Preferred placement into various roles at other USHG businesses at the completion of their apprenticeship (subject to fit and availability)
Plus incredible benefits available to you including:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance available at 90 days service.
- Paid Time Off begins accumulating the moment you start.
- Employee Dining- 20% discount at all USHG restaurants at 180 days service.
- 401(k)- matched 401(k) contributions available at 1 year service.
- Community contribution opportunities available
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgement- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than in expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Full Time, open availability, 6 month commitment
- Passion for creating memorable moments of hospitality for our guests
- Willingness to learn and get your hands dirty
- Strong communication skills to build trusting relationships with peers and guests
- The ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- A strong work ethic and a hunger to learn and grow
- A basic understanding of classic cookery, wine, beer, and cocktails
Ideally, You Also Have:
- Previous on-the-job experience in a Front of House or Back of House role
- Pursuing or have completed a Certification or Degree in Hospitality-related field or equivalent