Jacksonville College Prep Academy is hiring a Principal for the 2014-2015 school year.
Lighthouse Academy (LHA) principals are more than school leaders and managers. They help transform children’s lives by creating opportunities for a brighter future. LHA school leaders are responsible for ensuring all of our students achieve high levels of academic success. We are seeking principals who will make the commitment to lead with determination, integrity and purpose, embodying these essential qualities:
• Past experiences and actions reflect a commitment to the LHA mission, vision, core values
• A passion and ability to build and sustain the LHA K-12 model in a high need, urban environment
• Work in schools that demonstrates a sense of urgency and the relentless pursuit of high academic student achievement
• Reflective, self-aware and adaptable to communication and work styles of others
• Critical thinker and problem solver who takes initiative
• Belief in the power of collaboration and works to build a collaborative culture with LHA network, community, staff, families and students
The principal of a Lighthouse Academy school is an instructional, operational and strategic leader who works to create and enhance a culture of achievement and respect where high expectations and results are the norm. Our principals are responsible for demonstrating significant and measurable academic gains, each year, with all students. Our principals’ actions must always be aligned with our mission, vision, core values and education program. The essential functions for our principals are as follows:
I. INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP: DATA ANALYSIS
• Lead the school team in reaching the network goals; align school goals to the charter and LHA model.
• Manage all school programs in a manner that ensures efficiency, effectiveness and compliance; evaluate programs and make changes, as necessary, in line with the charter and the LHA model.
• Ensure timely, continuous and effective use of data for decision making and differentiated programming and instruction.
• Provide and present data toward network and school goals to the Board of Trustees and other constituents, as requested.
II. INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP: PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
• Serve as instructional leader, collaborating closely with the Director of Teacher Leadership to determine professional development needs of school to meet all network and school related goals.
• Work closely with each individual staff member (both instructional and non-instructional) to assist and guide them with the development of the Individual Professional Development Plan; provide training and allow for opportunities for staff to meet individual goals; evaluate progress toward goals.
III. INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP: CULTURE of ACHIEVEMENT and RESPECT
• Provide the collaborative leadership necessary to implement the school’s mission; coordinate work and collaborate with the LHA network.
• Create a school culture with staff, parents and students focused on strong academic achievement, fairness, respect and high expectations for behavior (aligned with the school’s charter, the LHA Curriculum Guides and the LHA School Culture Guide) that allows students to take risks and strive to reach goals.
• Establish, model, practice, and reinforce age-appropriate rules and logical consequences when working with students and staff members regarding student behavior.
• Initiate and maintain timely communication with all parents/guardians (through daily/weekly folders, notes home, weekly newsletters, phone calls, in-person meetings, conferences, report cards) concerning student progress and to provide a clear picture of the curriculum, culture and high expectations.
• Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/guardians remaining sensitive to different families’ cultures, values and needs.
IV. OPERATIONAL LEADERSHIP: MANAGEMENT
• Establish and manage school operations, procedures, systems, and routines that provide structure for students and maximize instructional time.
• Complete and monitor and all compliance requirements (Education law and regulations; federal programs initiatives; student support service programs, emergency plans and protocols).
• Complete all required authorizer, district and network reports with accuracy and timeliness.
• Manage and oversee school budget, ensuring that all financial transactions are completed in accordance with LHA policies and procedures.
V. OPERATIONAL LEADERSHIP: CULTURE of ACHIEVEMENT and RESPECT
• Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate staff, and complete any other personnel actions, in accordance with LHA policies and procedures.
• Conduct and supervise marketing of school; actively recruit families to ensure full enrollment.
• Establish, build and maintain community partnerships and relationships (arts partners, educational and child advocacy groups, business partners, media) to support the success of a diverse student population and the mission of the school, and to bring in volunteers and additional resources.
• Collaborate with colleagues (grade level and school-wide meetings, professional development days, the professional development institute) to continuously improve personal practice, classroom instruction, assessment, and student achievement; as well as to achieve the overall goals and mission of the school and the network.
• Access meaningful learning experiences (current theory, research, and developments in relevant academic disciplines, professional development opportunities, and ideas from colleagues and supervisors) and exercise judgment in accepting findings as valid for application in leadership and teacher improvement.
• Reflect critically upon leadership experience; identify areas for further professional development as part of a professional development plan that is linked to school and network goals; access meaningful learning experiences; and listen thoughtfully to other viewpoints and respond constructively to suggestions and criticisms.
• Use feedback to inform and update Individual Professional Development Plan.
• Fulfill all outlined and related functions professionally, timely and thoroughly.