The Catering Chef for Bon Appetit Management Company in Special Events at Denison University is responsible for the overall success of the food service operation adhering to the Client’s culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Bon Appétit’s standards and expectations of food quality, freshness and presentation. In this position the Chef de’Partie is responsible for overseeing the sanitation and safety of all kitchens, while ensuring that all kitchen employees produce delicious, eye-appealing and nutritious food, while meeting client and Bon Appetit financial budgetary goals. This position Solves problems professionally, rapidly and fairly as well as maintains and teaches a good work ethic, while supporting the Executive Chef, Director of Operations and General Manager, and developing a sense of teamwork and cooperation within the catering/culinary team.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
• Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
• Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
• Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
• Meets all timelines for menus and ordering.
• Teaches and adheres to Bon Appétit’s philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and service.
• Takes over the ownership of the kitchen.
• Has a Passion for food.
• Ensures all products and purchases meet Bon Appetit sustainability guidelines
• Has knowledge of and enforces the Client/Bon Appétit contractual agreement.
Supervision and Development of Staff
• Assists in the actions of New Hires, trains, and supervises the weekly conduct of the Lead Chefs and cooks.
• Ensures that proper uniform standard is followed by all culinary personnel, as stated in the employee handbook and established account guidelines.
• Maintains and understands the proper job descriptions for Lead Chefs and cooks.
• Assists in Conducting Lead Chefs and cooks reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary actions in a professional and timely manner in concordance with daily schedule along with the Executive Sous Chef and Café Managers. Provides feedback and support to employees to further their development.
• Ensures that all Hiring and Training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to New Hire Packet, Employee/Manager Hand Book Sign off Sheet, Fact Training Completion, and Safety Training.
• Oversees all creation of menus, production, and ordering for special events
• Assists the Executive Management team with Special Marketing Events and other projects as needed and Develops specialty menus and events per client’s needs, budget and unit guidelines
• Plans and executes the culinary elements of all specialty events along with Executive Sous Chef
• Is on site or has properly communicated assignments made for all special events and ensures that they meet all client expectations
• Make sure all events meet Bon Appetit Great Expectations standards.
• Uses a variety of high quality food items that are creatively well prepared, presented and flavorful in a cost effective manner in Special Events and all other Complex wide Menus.
• Ensures that all products and ingredients that are used are purchased following Bon Appétit purchasing standards and sustainability commitments.
• Ensures that all foods, beverages, and garnishes are consistent with Bon Appetit Great Expectations Culinary standards
• Works with management team to ensure that all restaurant, semi-private and Special Events and all other Complex wide menus set up meet specific account standards.
• Prepares a well-balanced menu that meets the cultural and dietary needs of Special Events and all other Complex wide guests.
• Meets and exceeds the expectations of the customer’s perceived value.
• Makes sure all kitchen waste is disposed of properly in the most sustainable manner as supported by the client
• Works to increase the Farm to Fork program with new local farms and purveyors
Customer Service and Client Relations
• Represents the company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner in all customer, client and employee interactions
• Responds to all comments and complaints and assists the Sous Chefs to respond within 24 hours and follows up with a written response to the General Manager.
• Interact with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
• Communicates with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner.
Financial Management and Analysis
• Prices all menu and catering items, specifying portion and prep quantities while adhering to food, and sustainability guidelines.
• Maintains and monitors kitchen payroll in conjunction with business forecasts and the budget.
• Manages the Lead Chefs in the production and execution of weekly schedules that mirror the strategic planning of labor and hiring goals
• Ensures that food cost meets budgetary goals each week in all operations by assisting the Lead Purchaser in establishing purchasing specifications, product storage and usage requirements and waste control procedures that are managed daily and weekly by the Lead Chefs.
• Ensures that Lead Chefs manage that invoices are coded and prices are updated weekly
• Strategically plan the weekly, periodic and annual expenses to achieve positive budgeted results.
• Reviews food portions and pricing quarterly, suggesting changes and monitoring waste from the retail spaces.
• Creates weekly menus and special event catering menus, meeting special dietary requests, including low-fat, low-sodium, vegetarian and low calorie meals.
• Trains Culinary Staff daily and weekly on the current menu items in recipes and presentations as well as taste profiles
• Supervises the Lead Chefs and Cooks in proper garnishing and presentation of food.
• Adheres to Bon Appétit’s standards of fresh and creative décor, as specified in Great Expectations
• Oversees Lead Chefs and Cooks in the overall appearance of the kitchen.
• Continues to test and update menu ideas and concepts, staying abreast of new culinary trends.
• Edits all weekly menus for proper spelling and descriptions.
• Utilizes all web based informational systems, including web menu and catering menu.
• Participates and is involved in growing the Bon Appetit image by becoming an integral part of the Green City Market and other Local Farming Initiatives to be decided with the General Manager
• Manages chefs to create, develop and execute weekly and seasonal specials and offerings, reviews, tastes and approves all seasonal menu and Pastry items.
Note: Job duties are subject to change as needed.
FOOD AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITES:
• Adheres to all Health Department, OSHA and ADA regulations.
• Supervises, trains and maintains through the Lead Chefs the daily reporting of Time and Temperature and accurate labeling, dating and rotating of all food products.
• Conducts weekly F.A.C.T. meetings with the Lead Chefs, and ensures that regular trainings are occurring in units
• Ensures the reporting of any injury, accident and/or food borne illness incident for customers and/or staff accurately and in a timely manner to the General Manager.
• Manages the Lead Chefs in developing daily and weekly cleaning checklists for kitchen staff and oversees their accomplishment.
• Trains kitchen personnel in safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils and machinery. Establishes maintenance schedules in conjunction with manufacturer’s instructions for all equipment. Provides safety training in lifting, carrying, hazardous material control, chemical control, first aid and CPR.
• Attends monthly safety meetings and participates in safety inspections when present or has the Lead Chefs attend to this duty
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education: Degree from a post secondary culinary arts training program AND/OR
• Experience: A minimum of 5 years as culinarian in high end special events production and chef plus 3 years in similar position in a like volume and quality food service establishment.
• General Hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
• Ability to operate Web based ordering system, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
• Proficient with word processing and spread sheet applications.
• Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit unit specific uniform standards for this position.
• Utilize all Personal Protective Equipment’s per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have a valid driver's license - minimum of Class C (non Commercial Driver License) license and clean motor vehicle record.
• Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training
• ServSafe certified
• Online Sexual Harassment Training