Union Square Hospitality Group is seeking a Sommelier to join the team at Gramercy Tavern!
The ideal candidate will have a passion for hospitality as strong as their passion for wine, have a passion for learning as well as teaching, and enjoy being a part of a team. This individual must be eager to grow within our organization and be comfortable working in a very fast-paced service environment.
- Maintain an understanding of the proper steps of service required of all FOH service positions
- Assist guests with pairings to help compliment the menu
- Maintenance of wine cellar and inventory
- Participation in staff wine education
- Maintain mental athleticism for coordination with table pacing, and section maintenance in conjunction with servers and managers
- Menu and beverage knowledge is comprehensive and kept current as menus evolve
Requirements and Skills:
- 1-2 years NYC fine dining experience in a Sommelier or wine focused position
- Strong communication and listening skills to effectively deliver accurate messaging to both guests and teammates
- Have a base knowledge and understanding of classic cookery, and an expert knowledge of wine, beer, and cocktails
- Have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards
- An advanced education or certification in wine studies that is service minded