Union Square Hospitality Group is seeking a Sommelier to join the team at Union Square Cafe!
Union Square Cafe is seeking a Sommelier to be an ambassador for our mission: To be the place in New York City where “Going out, feels like coming home”. A Sommelier at Union Square Cafe will excel at applying empathy to every guest they care for so they may create and maintain our guest’s loyalty, while ranking their teammate’s needs even higher. A Union Square Cafe Sommelier will hold themselves to the standard of a senior server who is capable of running a section to a distinguished level, rooted in a team-first mentality. The ideal candidate will also be adept at captaining the wine list in a hospitable manner to provide the perfect wine based on each unique opportunity for in this fast-paced, multi-faceted, neighborhood cafe. Service periods include Lunch, Brunch, and Dinner. This position actively embodies, inspires, & elevates USHG’s Family Values of Hospitality, Excellence, Entrepreneurial Spirit and Integrity.
- Maintain an understanding of the proper steps of service required of all FOH service positions
- Maintain mental athleticism for coordination with table pacing, and section maintenance in conjunction with servers and managers
- Strong communication and listening skills to effectively deliver accurate messaging to both guests and teammates
- Have a base knowledge and understanding of classic cookery, and an expert knowledge of wine, beer, and cocktails
- Menu and beverage knowledge is comprehensive and kept current as menus evolve
- Have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards
- Derives pleasure from providing hospitality
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent Emotional Self Awareness under pressure while maintaining a graceful, warm presence.
- Curious Intelligence to continue learning in the position
- A heightened sense of Empathy to be able to convert the guest’s communication into “Raves”
- Open availability and a career mentality
- Experience with opening a full service restaurant
- 1-2 years New York City fine dining experience in a Sommelier or wine focused position
- An advanced education or certification in wine studies that is service minded
- Benefits package includes medical/dental/vision, paid time off, and matching 401K and more!
- Access to USHG Career Development Counselling
- Access to USHG Learning and Development Training and Enrichment opportunities
Union Square Cafe proudly operates under Hospitality Included, USHG’s non-tipping pay structure and career progression model. Hospitality Included acts to close the wage disparity between the BOH and FOH, while keeping the FOH whole. Hospitality Included provides a career progression model that activates growth levels within each position, for our team members to advance both financially and professionally.