Union Square Cafe is looking for a Baker
to join the re-opening team!
The Baker is responsible for the daily preparation, production and finishing of all baked items for breakfast/brunch service. The Baker may be asked to work in a variety of techniques including, but not limited to mixing and laminating of doughs, cereals, batters and use of a sheeter. The Baker typically has several duties that revolve around helping the kitchen stay clean and maintaining the high standards of the operation. The Baker may be also be required to help prep items for lunch or dinner service.
• Follow all recipes, and presentation specifics as set forth by Executive Pastry Chef, Pastry Sous Chef or Pastry Supervisor
• Effectively prepare all required dishes in a timely manner for specific service period.
• Lamination of doughs
• Croissant Shaping and proper proofing/baking of products
• Ensure consistency with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules.
• Effectively communicate errors/ inconsistencies etc. to teammates and expeditors and correct the problem immediately
Prep and Kitchen Organization:
• Follow all opening/closing kitchen procedures
• Set up station according to Chef/Kitchen guidelines
• Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at Pastry stations
• Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed
Safety and Maintenance:
• Prepare all food according to Food Handlers Guidelines
• Handle, store, and rotate all products according to proper FIFO procedures
• Understand and adhere DOL and DOH safety and sanitation standards when cleaning and maintaining the kitchen
• Properly use and maintain all kitchen equipment
• Maintain a clean and stocked workplace, kitchen area, storage area and walk-in
• Track and report any food waste