- Meets patient in pre-op to explain test procedures and obtain patient consent.
- Obtains relevant past medical and surgical history, current symptoms and possible contraindications.
- Discusses the recommendations and needs for delivery of anesthesia with anesthesia team based on
clinical exam, modalities recommended and surgeon requirements.
- Communicates with the consulting IONM physician providing required demographics, procedural
information and clinical information so that proper monitoring can be planned and directed.
- Identifies neural structures at risk and communicates with surgeon, IONM physician and anesthesia team
to develop IONM plan.
- Sets up and selects appropriate IONM modalities to minimize potential negative patient outcomes.
- Prepares, utilizes and properly disposes of appropriate supplies for each procedure.
- Applies monitoring electrodes to patient safely and accurately.
- Operates and maintains electroneurodiagnostic equipment to ensure accurate testing and diagnosis.
- Performs the electroneurodiagnostic study to comply with applicable protocols and guidelines.
- Provides an oral summary of preliminary and final findings to the surgeon with consulting IONM
- Notifies the surgeon when immediate attention and action are necessary based on procedural findings and
- Documents in surgery log/ medical record throughout the monitoring process all relative
communication/responses, physiological status, anesthetic adjustments and changes in verbal responses according to policies and procedures.
- Communicates with necessary departments/ organizations to obtain patient scheduling information
according to facility policies and procedures.
- Is available for case coverage as required by market conditions.
- Covers on-call as required by market conditions.
- Maintains and abides by facility credentialing requirements.
- Maintains continuing education requirements of ABRET for CNIM.
- Completes and performs training exercises with co-workers.