Under the general supervision of the Operations Manager, the Production Supervisor is responsible for the overall safe, efficient, and cost effective operation in the manufacturing of high quality ductile iron pressure pipe. The Production Supervisor may be assigned a particular area of the manufacturing process but is subject to mobility throughout the manufacturing process including shift assignments. This position may also oversee and/or assist with the coordination of the daily shipping and receiving of manufactured goods.
1. Directs activities of subordinates to meet safety, cost, production, and quality goals.
2. Coordinates and manages the manufacturing and processing of pressure pipe to quality standards at an acceptable cost.
3. Designs and implements new or improved methods, procedures, materials, and processes to improve operating efficiencies, quality, and cost effectiveness.
4. Makes recommendations regarding projects (Capital, Repair or Expense) that will improve and or maintain the productivity of the Griffin Pipe operation.
5. Directs the activities of manufacturing personnel to improve health and safety, reduce downtime, continuously improve product quality and consistency, and increase productivity in the manufacturing operations.
6. Coordinates all manufacturing activities to ensure compliance with quality control standards.
7. Reviews operations on a daily basis to ensure that all safety and environmental rules and regulations are being followed (within the scope of a Production Supervisor).
8. Promotes and maintains positive employee relations with both hourly and salaried personnel. Reviews, clarifies as necessary, and understands all provisions of the Labor Agreement and administer correctly. Understands and enforces all work rules and regulations, including safety rules and procedures.
9. Interfaces with the Purchasing Department to ensure adequate inventories of supplies and materials and that established levels are maintained.
10. Understands and enforces all safety and labor rules, regulations, and policies and procedures. Promotes this same behavior among hourly workforce.
11. Prepares and submits manufacturing reports as required (i.e. production, manpower, quality, cost budgets, capital expenditures forecasts).
12. All other duties as assigned.
1. Assigns work to employees and establishes schedules that assure timely completion. Coordinates all departmental activities and informs appropriate employees of relevant work activities. Resolves conflicts as appropriate.
2. Instructs and trains all employees on the specific responsibilities of their job. Assesses employee training needs and establishes on-the-job training activities on the procedures and techniques to allow employees to become safe and proficient as quickly as possible. Assures current written procedures are maintained for all positions in Operations.
3. Oversees the scheduling of necessary safety training with the Safety Manager and assures the safety of all employees through safe work procedures, prompt equipment repairs, effective housekeeping, and compliance with internal safety practices and OSHA Standards.
4. Interviews, selects, and orients new employees. The selection process is in collaboration with Human Resources and the Department Manager. Coordinates the orientation of all new department employees, and establishes the job qualifications for each position.
5. Counsels and disciplines employees demonstrating performance and/or disciplinary problems. Provides the proper attitude and supervisory help to assist the employee in correcting deficiencies. Conducts all discipline in accordance with the Company’s policy and provides leadership regarding positive employee relations to subordinate supervisors and managers. The discipline process should be done in collaboration with Human Resources in order ensure consistency and contract compliance.
6. Promotes and maintains positive employee relations by supporting all provisions of the Labor Agreement. Understands and enforces all work rules and regulations, including safety rules and procedures. Consults with the Operations Manager and Human Resources Manager on labor relations and disciplinary matters.
7. Develops and encourages open and effective lines of communication between individuals and departments.
8. Promotes positive employee relations and supports all Company Policies and objectives regarding fair employment practices.
9. Ensures employees receive timely training and instruction to ensure the opportunity for acceptable levels of performance. Ensures all employees are instructed as to their specific responsibilities and accountabilities. Assesses the future training and development needs of employees to foster future talent growth.
10. Ensures new employees receive the appropriate orientation necessary for their successful transition to the workplace or new job.