The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the Global organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide IT Staff training as required.
Strategy & Planning
· Collaborate with department leaders to assess short and long-term network capacity needs.
· Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network topologies, processes, and service maintenance records.
· Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training and implementation plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
Acquisition & Deployment
· Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including routers, switches, network load balancers, firewalls, diagnostic appliances and other hardware as required.
· Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of current developments in the networking industry. Recommend new technologies as a result when appropriate.
· Implement new equipment. Maintain & upgrade existing equipment, perform hardware and software upgrades as required.
· Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
· Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
· Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
· Ensure network connectivity of all servers, workstations, telephony equipment, and other network appliances.
· Network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
· Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
· Participate in managing all network security solutions.
· Perform server and security audits.
Formal Education & Certification
· 4-6 Years of work experience in similar role
· University degree in computer science or electrical engineering and/or
· Certifications in Cisco or other relevant network technology preferred.
Knowledge & Experience
· Proven experience and success with LAN, WAN, and WLAN design and implementation.
· Strong understanding of IP networks and subnetting.
· Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
· Proven experience managing Firewalls and VPN Tunnels.
· Strong, hands-on technical knowledge of network administration, design and troubleshooting.
· Knowledge of telephony systems, including experience with Cisco Unified Communication administration, adds moves and changes.
· Working technical knowledge of network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards, including Cisco Nexus, Cisco Catalyst, Riverbed Steelhead, Cisco ASA, HP Tipping Point, TCP/IP, DNS, BGP, and EIGRP.
· Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience, proven methodology.
· Application experience with Solarwinds Network products preferred.
· Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
· Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
· Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
· Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
· Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
· Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
· Strong customer service orientation.
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
· On-call availability (24x7).
· Complete other tasks as deemed necessary for the proper upkeep and maintenance of the Skillsoft network environment.