|Director Business Development Physical Sciences|
ASU Enterprise Partners– Director Business Development Physical Sciences, Skysong Innovations
The mission statement for the Physical Science Technology Transfer function is to identify, evaluate, protect, market and commercialize innovative physical science based technologies developed at Arizona State University, a $550MM research enterprise, the aim is for ASU technologies to be licensed to both established and startup companies with a view to promoting societal benefits, while also ensuring a fair return for the university. In addition, this function may support technology transfer activities for other universities and research institutions.
The overall responsibility of the Business Development Manager is to work with faculty and administration in identifying physical science inventions; securing appropriate IP coverage; marketing to potential licensees; executing commercial license agreements including facilitating faculty startups; and ensuring diligence on the part of the licensees.
What you'll do:
· Engage and enhance strong working relationships with faculty
· Search-out and work with faculty to disclose commercially valuable ideas and prosecute intellectual property filings
· Market to potential licensees via emailing, phone calls, and face-to-face meetings
· Negotiate and execute licensing transactions from term sheet to definitive agreement
· Maintain up to date project status via central database
· Make presentations to faculty, industry, university leadership and boards
· Other duties as assigned
What you'll need:
· Ability to represent the institution well and to enthusiastically serve as an emissary for ASU
· Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies
· Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
· In depth knowledge of intellectual property prosecution is required
· Ability to maintain a high-degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Skysong Innovations (SI), ASU Enterprise Partners, and University business and confidential information
· Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, writing, and by phone with faculty, researchers, administrators and industry
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Independent thinking and problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible. A track record of innovative approaches to technology development is a desirable plus.
· Ability to represent and promote SI and ASU
· Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
· Highly organized and able to multitask
· Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communication plans
· Proven experience and success in the negotiation and conclusion of successful licensing and research agreements
· Proven ability to work productively with inventors, administrators and investors in an academic environment
· A proven communicator – comfortable dealing with senior faculty and university executives and administrators - as well as with executives in the commercial communities of technology, in order to develop and maintain relationships with faculty, industry, and other academic institutions
Advanced technical degree required – PhD highly preferred - and a minimum of eight years of related experience.
Innovations, through ASU Enterprise Partners offers a competitive compensation
and benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k)
plan and reduced tuition at ASU.
Skysong Innovations is an equal opportunity employer