The Director of Corporate Communications & Public Relations will promote Abiomed to internal and external audiences in support of the business/strategic plan and branding/positioning strategy. The role will support the communication needs of the organization through development and execution of communication plans including media relations, community relations, internal and external publications, award nominations, and contributions to the Abiomed intranet and external website. Professionalism and communication skills as a spokesperson for one of the fastest growing companies in healthcare is critical.
Abiomed is a global technology leader focused on recovering hearts and saving lives with a strong “patients first” mission that is infused throughout the entire employee base. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has always focused on developing ground-breaking and innovative medical devices that assist heart patients around the world. The Company’s portfolio of Impella products and services offer healthcare professionals an array of choices across a broad clinical spectrum. From the world’s first total replacement heart to the Impella heart pump, the World’s Smallest Heart Pump, 1/100th the size of the heart with rapid and simple insertion, Abiomed is dedicated to finding ways to bring the most advanced and beneficial technology to patients and physicians.
With global corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, and offices in Aachen and Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1000+ employees form one of the fastest growing medical technology companies in the United States. Abiomed was listed #8 on the Fortune's 100 Fastest-Growing Companies for 2016. Since 2004, the Company’s revenue and market capitalization have grown more than 10 times and fiscal Y/Y and Q/Q results have increased 25% and 47% respectively. The Company’s unique product offerings and strong pipeline, position Abiomed for substantial and rapid growth with a long trajectory ahead. Coupled with new products in development, future expansions of regulatory approvals and broadened indications, Abiomed is building an exciting, growing organization that focuses on patient outcomes and long-term success.
With products that literally transform and improve the quality of life for heart patients all over the world, the culture at Abiomed is embodied by a spirit of innovation and dedication among its employees. The philosophy at Abiomed is to put patients first in every circumstance, with a strong emphasis in achievement and integrity. The dynamic nature of the Company instills the belief that Abiomed’s products and solutions are among the most essential technologies in the industry today.
As an organization, Abiomed operates on four core principles that address the Company’s distinctive mission, unique strengths, and vigorous dedication to its customers, stakeholders and employees.
1. Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives – The founding principle and guiding compass at Abiomed. The focus on the patient inspires a culture of contribution and improvement.
2. Leading in Technology & Innovation – Abiomed prides itself on innovation and makes a commitment to providing patients and healthcare providers the highest quality devices and cost-effective solutions.
3. Growing Shareholder Value – Invest in our patients, our mission and our future and reward those who invest in us.
4. Sustaining a Winning Culture – We are a performance-driven organization and are passionate, energetic and committed to our mission. We act with integrity and hold each other accountable, and in turn we fully invest our best, resulting in outstanding achievement.
• Manages a communication professional to creature feature stories, press releases, new articles, columns, editorials, personnel announcements, internal memos, website copy and other printed and online/electronic media materials.
• Conducts research and interviews to gather information used in stories and other materials.
• Handles the production of publications including writing and photo assignments, writing and editing copy, working with graphic designers, maintaining production schedules and overseeing distribution of communication materials.
• Develops, manages and evaluates internal communications as needed or requested for departments to provide employees and leaders with consistent, timely and in-depth updates on the business including intranet announcements, email announcements, newsletters, blogs, meetings and presentations aimed at educating employees about strategy, business news, and results while supporting the Abiomed brand.
• Communicates the mission and main themes to the workforce in an engaging and compelling way, connecting the dots for the workforce.
• Develops communication standards, guidelines, templates, and tools.
• Creates compelling storylines to drive media coverage.
• Cultivates relationships and gains working knowledge of the system of journalists, bloggers, analyst, influencers and other relevant stakeholders.
• Serves as an accessible, accurate and trusted media spokesperson, while serving as an advisor to senior company leaders on effective media engagement techniques.
• Anticipates, identifies, and develops communications strategies and messaging for protecting Abiomed’s brand reputation from potential high-visibility corporate and property incidents, issues and crises.
• Manages the delivery of corporate content in press kit materials, website, intranet and newsletters.
• Identifies, leverages, and works to integrate technology that will increase the effectiveness and timeliness of internal communications.
• Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other field appropriate
• Master’s Degree required
• 10-15 years of experience in a public relations, journalism, communications, marketing or related role with demonstrated experience in writing, editing, graphics arts, media relations, crisis management, event planning, website and social media content generation, and working with printers and other related vendors
• Experience managing or supervising others
• Experience working with a medical devices organization or life sciences required
• Advanced skills in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop
• Skills in writing for a wide variety of assignments including analytical thinking to write material on complex subjects as well as creative writing ability
• Ability to handle multiple projects and meet budget and deadlines
• Ability to present and express ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to audience, whether verbal or written
• Travel as required