|View All Jobs|||||Jobs By Location|||||Jobs By Category|||||Careers Home|
The Executive Chef for Bon Appetit Management Company is responsible for the overall success of the food service operation adhering to the Client’s culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Bon Appétit standards and expectations of food quality, freshness and presentation. In this position the Executive Chef is responsible for overseeing the sanitation and safety of all kitchens, while ensuring that all kitchen employees produce delicious, eye-appealing and nutritious food, while meeting client financial budgetary goals. This position solves problems professionally, rapidly and fairly as well as maintains and teaches a good work ethic, while supporting the General Manager, and developing a sense of teamwork and cooperation within the team.
This position works with the general manager to design and implement creative and outstanding food and recipes. The Executive Chef directs and ensures the success of the culinary programs for the client in Catering, restaurant, and café settings.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
• Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
• Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
• Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
• Meets all timelines for menus and ordering.
• Teaches and adheres to Bon Appétit philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and service.
• Takes over the ownership of the kitchen.
• Has a Passion for food.
• Ensures all products and purchases meet Bon Appetit sustainability guidelines
• Has knowledge of and enforces the Client/Bon Appétit contractual agreement.
Supervision and Development of Staff
• Hires, trains, and supervises the daily conduct of all Chefs, Sous Chefs and hourly kitchen personnel.
• Ensures that proper uniform standard is followed by all culinary personnel, as stated in the employee handbook and established account guidelines.
• Develops and revises proper job descriptions for Chef’s and Sous chefs.
• Conducts Chefs reviews, coaching sessions, and disciplinary actions in a professional and timely manner. Provides feedback and support to employees to further their development.
• Ensures that all Hiring and Training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to New Hire Packet, Employee/Manager Hand Book Sign off Sheet, Fact Training Completion, and Safety Training.
• Uses a variety of high quality food items that are creatively well prepared, presented and flavorful in a cost effective manner in the Cafés and catering.
• Ensures that all products and ingredients that are used are purchased following bon appétit purchasing standards and sustainability commitments.
• Ensures that all foods, beverages, and garnishes are consistent with Bon Appetit Great Expectations Culinary standards
• Works with management team to ensure that all display, catering and café service and culinary set up meet specific account standards.
• Prepares a well balanced menu that meets the cultural and dietary needs of the Café guests.
• Meets and exceeds the expectations of the customer’s perceived value.
• Makes sure all kitchen waste is disposed of properly in the most sustainable manner as supported by the client
Customer Service and Client Relations
• Represents the company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner in all customer, client and employee interactions
• Responds to all comments and complaints within 24 hours and follows up with a written response to the General Manager.
• Interact with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
• Communicates with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner.
Financial Management and Analysis
• Prices all menu and catering items, specifying portion and prep quantities while adhering to food, and sustainability guidelines.
• Maintains and monitors kitchen payroll in conjunction with business forecasts and the budget.
• Ensures that food cost meets budgetary goals each week in all operations by establishing purchasing specifications, product storage and usage requirements and waste control procedures.
• Ensures that invoices are coded and prices are updated weekly
• Reviews catering portions and pricing quarterly, suggesting changes and monitoring waste from events
• Creates weekly menus and special event catering menus, meeting special dietary requests, including low-fat, low-sodium, vegetarian and low calorie meals.
• Supervises the proper garnishing and presentation of food.
• Adheres to Bon Appétit standards of fresh and creative décor, as specified in Great Expectations
• Oversees the overall appearance of the kitchen.
• Continues to test and update menu ideas and concepts, staying abreast of new culinary trends.
• Edits all weekly menus for proper spelling and descriptions.
• Utilizes all web based informational systems, including web menu and catering menu.
• Oversees all creation of menus, production, and ordering for special events
• Assists Catering Management team and Develops specialty menus and events per clients needs, budget and unit guidelines
• Plans and executes the culinary elements of all specialty events
• Is on site for all special events and ensures that they meet all client expectations
• Make sure all events meet Bon Appetit Great Expectations standards.
• Participates and is involved in Catering Open House and Seasonal tastings of new menu items
• Manages chefs to develop seasonal specials and offerings, reviews, tastes and approves all seasonal menu and Pastry items.
• Works with Catering Management team to develop and implement sales programs on campus to solicit new business
Note: Job duties are subject to change as needed.
FOOD AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITES:
• Adheres to all Health Department, OSHA and ADA regulations.
• Supervises, trains and maintains daily reporting of Time and Temperature and accurate labeling, dating and rotating of all food products.
• Conducts weekly F.A.C.T. meetings, and ensures that regular trainings are occurring in units
• Reports any injury, accident and/or foodborne illness incident for customers and/or staff accurately and in a timely manner to the General Manager.
• Develops daily and weekly cleaning checklists for kitchen staff and oversees their accomplishment.
• Trains kitchen personnel in safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils and machinery. Establishes maintenance schedules in conjunction with manufacturer’s instructions for all equipment. Provides safety training in lifting, carrying, hazardous material control, chemical control, first aid and CPR.
• Attends monthly safety meetings and participates in safety inspections
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education: Degree from a post secondary culinary arts training program.
• Experience: A minimum of 5 years as sous chef plus 3 years in similar position in a like volume and quality food service establishment.
• General Hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
• Ability to operate Web based ordering system, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
• Proficient with word processing and spread sheet applications.
• Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit unit specific uniform standards for this position.
• Utilize all Personal Protective Equipment’s per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have a valid driver's license - minimum of Class C (non Commercial Driver License) license and clean motor vehicle record.
• Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training
• ServSafe certified
• Online Sexual Harassment Training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
• Walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms.
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
• Push and Pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
• Ability to read and comprehend elaborate instructions, event requests, correspondence, and memos written in English
• Able to speak clearly and listen attentively to staff, peers, supervisors, guests and client.
• Able to read and write to facilitate the communication process. Ability to write professional and efficient emails to clients and customers.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, and clients.
• Ability to lead meeting and trainings with employees and other members of the company and cover basic health, safety, culinary and service topics.
ACHIEVING LEADERSHIP IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY:
Bon Appétit is a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This position supervises numerous (50-100) hourly and management employees of diverse background and skill level.