The Café Chef de Cuisine for Bon Appetit Management Company at Google takes ownership for the overall success of the Cafe Food Program. This entails adhering to the Client’s culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Bon Appétit/Google standards of food quality, freshness and presentation. This position is accountable for the kitchen’s daily administrative, operational and culinary tasks, including sanitation and safety. In addition the Chef de Cuisine also motivates, trains, develops and directs the employees to accomplish the objectives of the operation and maintain a positive relationship with the client.
Approximately 50% of time spent working in the kitchen with the remaining 50% of the time dedicated to administrative duties, menu research and development. A minimum of 50 hours worked per week is required.
Meet all timelines for payroll, cafe service, accounts receivable, human resources, corporate programs and all other project deadlines given by Google and management.
Teach and adhere to Bon Appetit/Google philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and exemplary service.
Have a Passion for food and service.
Ensure all products and purchases meet Bon Appetit/Google sustainability guidelines.
Have knowledge of and enforces the Bon Appetit/Google contractual agreement.
Supervision and Development of Staff
Train and supervise the daily conduct of the staff.
Supervise the adherence to proper uniform standards following the employee handbook and established account guidelines.
Evaluate staff and actively work to develop managerial leadership and culinary skills
Conduct coaching sessions and disciplinary actions.
Ensure that all training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to F.A.C.T. Training Completion and Safety Training.
Write menus that demonstrate creativity, concept authenticity and intent, seasonality, healthy balance and variety
Ensure that high quality food items are creatively well prepared and presented in a cost effective manner.
Lead the culinary staff in all Bon Appétit/Google Corporate initiatives including Circle of Responsibility, Low Carbon Diet and Farm to Fork Programs
Prepare a well balanced menu that meets the cultural and dietary needs of the Café guests.
Meet and exceed the expectations of the customer and client perceived value.
Ensure that all products and ingredients that are used are purchased following Bon Appétit/Google purchasing standards and sustainability commitments.
Work with management team to ensure that all display, catering and café culinary set up meet specific account standards.
Make sure all kitchen waste is disposed of properly in the most sustainable manner as supported by the client
Customer Service and Client Relations
Represent the company in a courteous, efficient and friendly manner in all customer, client and employee interactions
Interact with customers and resolve customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner
Communicate with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner.
Financial Management and Analysis
Ensure that all culinary personnel follow the proper time and attendance policy
Responsible to make sure that labor and food cost budgetary goals are met.
Responsible for placing proper orders, sourcing the best local and seasonal ingredients and following purchasing guidelines.
Complete inventory on an appropriate schedule.
Kitchen & Café Supervision
Ensure that overall café kitchen space meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversees the daily appearance and upkeep of the kitchen
Supervise the proper garnishing and presentation of food.
Ensure that the overall café meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversee the daily appearance of the entire Café
Monitor daily signage for proper spelling and descriptions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education: Degree from a post secondary culinary arts training program.
• Experience: A minimum of 5 years as sous chef plus 3 years in similar position in a like volume and quality food service establishment.
• General Hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
• Ability to operate Web based ordering system, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
• Proficient with word processing and spread sheet applications.
• Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit unit specific uniform standards for this position.
• Utilize all Personal Protective Equipment’s per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have a valid driver's license - minimum of Class C (non Commercial Driver License) license and clean motor vehicle record.
• Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) training
• ServSafe certified
• Online Sexual Harassment Training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Stand, talk or hear, and taste or smell.
• Walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms.
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
• Push and Pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Must consistently utilize all Personal Protective Equipment per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Must wear a cut resistance glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
• Ability to read and comprehend elaborate instructions, event requests, correspondence, and memos written in English
• Able to speak clearly and listen attentively to staff, peers, supervisors, guests and client.
• Able to read and write to facilitate the communication process. Ability to write professional and efficient emails to clients and customers.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, and clients.
• Ability to lead meeting and trainings with employees and other members of the company and cover basic health, safety, culinary and service topics.
ACHIEVING LEADERSHIP IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY:
Bon Appétit is a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This position supervises numerous (10-20) hourly and management employees of diverse background and skill level.